Monday, February 27, 2006

Meditation

I attended a Meditation Retreat this past Saturday and it was absolutely wonderful. I'm fairly new to "formal" meditation. A good friend introduced me to the Blue Mountain Center of Meditation (more here) and I have gained so much from it, I'm surprised it's taken me this long to dive in.

The 8 Point program emphasizes spiritual passages from just about every spiritual persuasion on the planet and I have just loved that. One of my favorite passages is from Saint Teresa of Avila, who lived in the early 1500's. She states, ""I did not know how to proceed in prayer or how to become recollected, and so I took much pleasure in it and decided to follow that path with all my strength" (Libro de la Vida, the autobiography of St. Teresa--hereafter abbrev. V--4.6).

The passage I like is this:
Let nothing upset you
Let nothing frighten you
Everything is changing
God alone is changeless
Patience attains the goal
Who hath God lacks nothing
God alone meets all our needs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home