Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Business Lessons

I was reading a perodical I receive (yes, in hard copy) on Executive Leadership. I am interested in Executive Leadership trends and have been asked to speak to groups on the topic.

One of the topics in the periodical was about "Increasing Self Discipline", which was good to read. "Force yourself to keep good records; drive yourself to be punctual" were two items that caught my eye. I can't tell you how many people I coach who cannot be on time. This is disrespectful and unnecessary, and often ruins a perfectly good career.

But I wanted to focus on a couple of other things I believe are useful lessons:
1. Take offsite retreats. This is a great way for the executive team to develop long term strategies.
2. Read books on topics that don't necessarily pertain to your business or industry. I like to pick up a Scientific American every now and then - just to broaden my thinking to possibilities beyond my scope of reference.
3. At the end of the day, assess how well you used your time, energy, and money.

Executive Leadership has many valuable lessons - even if you're not an Executive or in a Leadership capacity, and I highly suggest you read a Leadership book this winter to gain perspective and learn something new.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home