Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Giving Thanks



Tomorrow is Thanksgiving - we're having a group of about 15 over to our home for dinner, laughter, closeness. My husband and I are truly blessed with lots of love and support in our lives.

Some of you know that Dynamic Transitioning was essentially born out of a health emergency that affected my husband 4 years ago. He had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic and ended up in a coma for 6 days. When he came out of that coma he was a changed man in many ways and our lives have never been the same. My husband had to go on full time disability, he cannot drive, he has a seizure disorder he never had before, depression....it goes on and on. His neck was somehow damaged during the coma and two years ago he had neck surgery, which didn't go well, and now he suffers severe pain and discomfort from that. There's more I won't go in to.

As the true extent of his problems began to overwhelm me, I searched for the strength to get through this. I am a take charge kind of person and don't sit still until I find a solution. However, this one was daunting. It turns out that when someone has these types of problems, there is no one solution. It is a series of small solutions to pieces of the problem. And, it has no end in sight. Even if he gets better...and he HAS...he will never go back to the day before the event.

So, like any good problem solver, I turned to my resources and pulled down all the books I have on personal and spiritual development and began looking for the "answer". I soon realized I would NEVER be able to focus enough to read through all of them. I found myself wishing that I had ONE place to turn to....and that is how Dynamic Transitioning was born. I created that place with Dynamic Transitioning - The 7 Point Program and realized that my husband and I were in the biggest transition of our lives! We could get through this feeling sorry for ourselves and flailing about, or we could rise to the challenge and use the opportunity for inner growth.

I developed this program and realized that others could benefit from it as well. I've been speaking to groups, working one on one with folks, and practicing the program myself as a way to find meaning and usefulness through this seemingly hard experience. My husband gets better, then has a setback, then gets better again. My job is to be as consistent as I can and keep our lives "normal" - on a routine, etc. Some days I'm better at it than others, that's for sure.

I picked the word Dynamic because I wanted to convey strength, power, and movement. I picked the word Transition vs change because transition to me signifies a process. Dynamic Transitioning is a powerful process.

My husband is stable today but will never be the man he once was. This is extremely hard for both of us. But like everything else, we have a choice each and every day, to look at this as a negative or as a positive.

As Thanksgiving Day approaches, we're feeling very positive. We have alot of love in our lives from friends and family. We're very fortunate, in spite of what's happened. We live in America - the most hopeful country on the planet. We believe in our love for each other - no matter what. We have watched our son get married to a wonderful woman and start his own journey. We have so many fun and funny experiences to look back on. And when he has a really bad day, I try to just be there for him...quietly loving him back to center.

My cup runneth over. I am very grateful. I hope you are too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home